There are millions of individual sellers on taobao.com that sell many same or similar products. In this article, we would like to guide you through how to use certain elements to find good sellers, and how to interpret different information on the product page. Additionally, you can check shop recommendations on Taobao.
In order to recognize sellers with a good reputation and performance, Taobao.com distinguishes them from millions of others by calling them “gold medal” sellers. When you are buying from a gold medal seller, you are guaranteed to receive products true to descriptions with minimum delay in domestic shipping in China.
It is very easy to identify gold medal sellers either on individual store web pages or on product search pages. Simply find the gold medal icon, as in the screenshots below, all circled out in red.
Besides finding the gold medal seller, taobao.com usually presents a general description of sellers and their stores. In the below screenshot, you can find two different presentations of the seller overview of the same information. Please read the descriptions under the screenshot to interpret the information.
a. The name of the store
b. The rating of the store (more details of the rating system will be presented)
c. Nickname of the seller
d. Score of how the product description is true to the real product (out of a total of 5). The arrow next to the score indicates whether the such score is higher (arrow points up) or lower (arrow points down) than the average in the same store category
e. Score of service quality (out of a total of 5). The arrow next to the score indicates whether such score is higher (arrow points up) or lower (arrow points down) than average in the same store category
f. Score of shipping services (out of a total of 5). The arrow next to the score indicates whether such score is higher (arrow points up) or lower (arrow points down) than average in the same store category
Taobao.com assigns points to sellers based on the amount and types of reviews that each seller receives for each successful transaction. A positive review adds one point, a neutral review does not add any point, while a negative review deducts one point. The total score is indicated by different signs to reflect the seller’s rating on Taobao.com. As shown in the screenshot below, one heart represents the lowest rating while five gold crowns represent the highest rating. The higher the rating usually means the seller is more reliable in a way.
In the followings, we would like to help you interpret information on the product page. The screenshots below are the product page of a woman’s dress, the highlighted sections in green numbered will be explained afterward:
1. Item price (price range): 298 RMB – 328 RMB (once the size and color are chosen, the precise price will be displayed)
2. Available shipping in China and shipping costs
3. Size selection (Available sizes)
4. Color selection (Available styles)
5. Quantity selection (1847 pieces available in stock)
6. This item has been added to the favorites 8793 times
Continue on the screenshot:
7. Product descriptions: here you can find product specifications and photos provided by sellers
8. Customer review: this is a very useful section for reference during purchase as sometimes you can find authentic photos of products, or detailed text reviews (you could use translators to translate the reviews from Chinese to desired languages)
9. Under the customer review section, reviews are classified into several categories: all reviews(全部), photo reviews (图片), added reviews (追评), positive reviews (好评), neutral reviews (中评), negative reviews (差评).
We hope everything above is helpful in making your shopping experiences simple, easy, and pleasant! Feel free to let us know what you think or if you would like extra information on our Facebook page!
Recommended reading What is the difference between Taobao and Tmall?